Thursday 21 April 2016

When The Big C Strikes Twice


BOWEL CANCER

Bowel Cancer also known as Colorectal Cancer is referred to as Cancer of the colon or rectum. 

This type of Cancer affects a person's digestive system.

Bowel Cancer occurs when cells in the bowel change and rapidly grow.

Most types occur in the large bowel.

Bowel Cancer can affect both sexes.

Treatment such as surgery, chemotherapy, biological therapy and radiotherapy are available.

Below are some links for help & support of Bowel Cancer with in the UK:

https://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/


LUNG CANCER

Lung Cancer is the uncontrolled and rapid growth of abnormal cells in one or both lungs.

This type of Cancer affects the respiratory system which is responsible for the breathing.

Lung Cancer starts in the wall of the bronchi and as the cancer grows it forms a collection of cells which become a tumour.

The tumour then causes a blockage which results in difficulty breathing.

It can affect both sexes.

Surgery, chemotherapy, biological therapy and radiotherapy are all forms of treatment that can be used.

There are two types of Lung Cancer; non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) which is divided into 3 parts called adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and large cell carcinoma, and small cell lung cancer (SCLC).

Below are some links for help & support of Lung Cancer with in the UK:

https://www.roycastle.org/

https://www.blf.org.uk/

http://www.uklcc.org.uk/

______________________________________________

Daddy's Girl

When a family member is struck down with cancer it is a sad time but when two family members have cancer its devastating.

Alisha Bowell was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer and soon after, her father Alvin Bowell was diagnosed with Lung Cancer.

Alisha Bowell began her fight against The Big C and is now in her 4th year of remission, sadly her father Alvin Bowell lost his fight and passed away in December 2013.

My most sincere condolences go to the Bowell family and friends on the loss of Alvin Bowell.

Alisha Bowell kindly agreed to an interview with me in regards to her Bowel Cancer and her father's Lung Cancer in order to help raise awareness of Cancer.

______________________________________________

The Interview:

What is your name and age?
Alisha Bowell and I'm 29.

When were you diagnosed with Bowel Cancer?
2011, I had just turned 24.

How was a diagnosis made?
I was rushed in for an emergency operation as there was a blockage in my stomach, then 6 weeks later I was told the news.

What symptoms did you have?
I had always been tired which I thought was down to my job and travelling far.
It wasn’t until 2 weeks prior that I had severe symptoms.
I couldn’t go to the toilet which was abnormal for me, I had really bad diaherea.
At first the doctors treated me for constipation.
I kept being sick and had an over extended belly.

What treatment did you receive?
I had an operation which removed the mass, followed by 6 months of chemotherapy and 2 further operations to reverse the colostomy bag and drain the fluid on my ovaries, from all surgery scar tissue.

What support was available to you?
Being that young with bowel cancer it is very rare so I did find it hard however I went to counselling and joined a teenage cancer trust.
My Family especially my mum and dad, friends and good consultants got me though it.

What is the outcome for your future?
I am now in my 4th year of remission, every year passes the greater my chances.

__________________________________________

What is your dad's name and age?
Alvin Bowell.
(He passed away, age 69 in December 2013)

When was he diagnosed with Lung Cancer?
He was diagnosed in March 2012.

How was a diagnosis made?
Doctors had suspicions and he was then sent for further testing.

What symptoms did he have?
He suffered blood when coughing.

What treatment did he receive?
Chemotherapy & Radiotherapy.

What support was available to him?
Rest bite, care at home.

What is the outcome for his future?
His diagnosis was always terminal.

__________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment