Saturday 30 April 2016

PCOS

POCS is otherwise known as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which a hormonal disorder.
The Graafian follicles in the ovary fail to develop as they should which means they are unable to ovulate.

Emma, a young woman of 24 was diagnosed with this condition when she was aged 18.
Emma has kindly agreed to an interview with me.

__________________________________________

What is your name and age?
Emma, 24 years.

What is PCOS?
PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This means that I have cysts on my ovaries.

When were you diagnosed?
I was diagnosed when I was 18 years old. I was showing symptoms from when I was 15.

How was a diagnosis made?
A diagnosis was made by having an ultrasound scan of my ovaries.
As this doesn't always show properly I then had to have an internal inspection with a camera.
This is common.

Is this condition hereditary?
Yes, it can be hereditary.

What causes this condition?
It has no known cause (as far as I'm aware).

Is surgery required?
Surgery maybe required in severe cases.
I haven't needed surgery and probably won't need it.

What complications if any can arise?
The cysts can burst and cause severe pain.
This can then cause scar tissue on the ovaries.

What symptoms do you have?
My symptoms include:
Unexplained weight gain.
Difficulty losing weight.
Very rare periods.
Difficulty conceiving.
Low blood sugar levels.

What treatment have you received?
No treatment until I was 24.
Even though it should have been given when I was first diagnosed.

What medication are you prescribed?
I take a medicine called Metformin.
Its meant for diabetics as its meant to help your body produce insulin so it helps pcos too.

Are there any triggers?
No triggers.

Is there a cure?
No cures.

What is the outcome for your future in regards to this condition?
The outcome of my future will be that I will always struggle to lose or maintain my weight which can cause more health problems in the future.

Does this condition cause fertility issues?
Yes.
Unfortunately the cysts surround the ovaries.
This means that when you're trying to conceive, the sperm can't get to the eggs and the eggs can't be released.
The doctor says I can try IVF in the future but I must lose weight.
Losing weight is proving difficult due to the pcos.
I feel like I'm stuck on a roundabout with no exits.
There is a new treatment that they are currently trialling in the USA.
If it works it will be available in the UK but not on the NHS!

What advice can you give other sufferers of POCS?
If you think you have this condition or have been diagnosed.
Don't give up.
Pester your GP for the metformin.
This had helped me a lot!
Don't just let them fob the pill off on you as this does not help.
If you are struggling with weight loss or maintaining your weight, ask your GP for further help and advice!!

__________________________________________

Support:
http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/

Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/pcosfight/

Website:
http://www.pcosaa.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment