Saturday 11 June 2016

Guillian-Barre Syndrome (Interview 2)

Melissa Higgs was an active little girl until the age of 5 when she was diagnosed with Guillian-Barre Syndrome.

Despite the symptoms she endured Melissa fought the condition.

Melissa kindly agreed to an interview with me in regards to GBS.

__________________________________________

An Interview With Melissa Higgs:

What is your name and age?
Melissa Higgs
27

When were you diagnosed with GBS?
When I was 5

What is GBS?
Guillian-Barre Syndrome it's a disease that kills all the nerves in your body.
Mine started as my immune system worked overtime to fight a general cold.

What symptoms did you have?
I couldn't walk and had lost all my coordination, I couldn't do anything for myself.
I couldn't feel myself go to the toilet.

How was a diagnosis made?
I had a lumber puncture to determine that it was Guillian-Barre Syndrome.

Were you hospitalised due to this condition?
I was in hospital for 10 weeks.
The doctors said age was on my side and it helped with how quick I recovered.
I was the first child in South Yorkshire to ever have it.

Is it hereditary?
No it's not hereditary

How has this condition affected your life?
If anything the condition had helped as I don't suffer with hardly any illness as my immune system is stronger.

What treatment did you receive?
I had physiotherapy to help me walk.
I had splints made to help me walk again.

What advice would you give others in a similar situation?
I would just say to anyone with it to stay positive and do everything the doctors say!!

"As I am here today to tell my story of
Guillian-Bare Syndrome and how I survived it"

__________________________________________

Help & Support:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/basics/coping-support/con-20025832

http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/guillain-barre-syndrome/

No comments:

Post a Comment