Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Toxic Shock Syndrome

Lately I've been reading online and in the newspapers about young women who have experienced TSS so I decided to write this blog in order to bring awareness to others about this condition.

Toxic Shock Syndrome aka TSS is an acute septicaemia in women that is caused by a bacterial infection from a retained tampon or IUD.

A tampon is a plug of soft material that is inserted into the vagina to absorb menstrual blood.

An IUD is otherwise known as a coil, which is a small contraceptive device that is inserted into the uterus.

When a tampon or coil is retained, it means it has become stuck or lost inside the body.

Symptoms of TSS are as follows;
High fever
Red eyes
Low blood pressure
Muscle aches
Sore throat

TSS can cause kidney & liver failure plus shock so its important to go to hospital as soon as possible where you will receive intravenous fluids and antibiotics.

Some cases of TSS are so severe that the after effects can be those such as;
Gangrene causing the loss of fingers and toes,
Deafness and blindness,
Loss of hair and nails,
Lack of energy for months or even years,
Permanent kidney and liver damage,
Peeling skin
Continual infections,
Psychological and emotional distress.

To reduce the risk of TSS use an alternative form of contraception instead of the coil and use sanitary towels instead of tampons.

No comments:

Post a Comment